A popular quote by Dr. Howard Murad says, “Healthy skin is a reflection of overall wellness“. This quote beautifully sums up the need to protect your skin against all odds because it reflects the state of your inner self. Choosing the best skin care routine might be challenging so a basic mantra to attain a glowing skin is to stay healthy and happy from inside.
The next step is to first understand your skin type and then caress it with the right kind of care. However, we generally don’t pay any heed to such details and victimize our skin with chemical loaded beauty care products. Such products damage the skin and make it appear dull and worn out.
According to Ayurveda, In having the best skin care routine, you should understand that there are basically three types of skin- Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. Let’s try to understand each of these types.
1. Vata Skin Type
The Vata type is characterized by dry, rough, wrinkled, and thin skin with small pores. It is highly sensitive to dry windy weather and can get easily dehydrated. If not treated with care, vata skin can age faster and look dry and flaky always.
Tips for Vata Skin Care
- Apply products that contain a fusion of essential oils and natural herbs
- Try to minimize the level of your mental and emotional stress as it pumps out vital juices out of the skin and makes it dehydrated
- Drink at least 8 glass of water every day and consume juicy fruits in your regular diet
- Correct the Vata imbalance by taking Vata Churna and Vata Tea
2. Pitta Skin Type
Pitta type is characterized by fair, sensitive, and soft skin. It is vulnerable to freckles and moles and has tolerance to hot and spicy food. In absence of proper care, this skin type can develop rashes, acne, or sunburns.
Tips for Pitta Skin Care
- Apply products that produce cooling effect on the skin
- Protect yourself from harsh Sun rays by applying natural Sun protection creams
- Avoid consuming hot and spicy food and exercising in the hot area
- Drink plenty of water every day and consume healthy organic food
- Avoid the application of chemical-based cosmetics
3. Kapha Skin Type
People with Kapha type have oily, heavy, soft, dull, dense skin with large pores. Compared to other two types, this one is less prone to ageing and wrinkles. This skin type is susceptible to enlarged pores, excessive oil, blackheads, and pimples. If not treated well, it can develop cystic acne.
Tips for Kapha Skin Care
- Stay away from oily, fried, and heavy foods and switch to green leafy vegetables
- Detoxify your body with fruits and vegetables and keep your digestive system in order
- Consume Kapha Churna and Kapha Tea to correct the Kapha imbalance in your body
- Drink plenty of water every day and eat more of fruits and green vegetables
After you have identified your skin type, the next step is to choose the right products. A right kind of skin care with right kind of products leads to healthy and glowing skin. The best way to do this is by opting for natural and herbal products. Market is flooded with natural skin care products for skin care routine but always remember that the word ‘natural’ is not regulated and the authenticity of its claim needs to be checked every time.
Here are the guidelines that you must keep in mind before buying any skin care product.
- Check the list of ingredients mentioned on the product before buying it
- Check for ‘Natural Ingredient Standard’ benchmark on the product
- Check that the product does not contain Sulfates Parabens or Petrochemicals
- Say ‘No’ to fragrances, preservatives, and additives and go for mineral based natural makeup products
Natural products are enriched with herbs and natural oils. These ingredients are gentle and they do not harm your skin. Here are some of the effective natural herbs that should become a part of your beauty care regime.
Kumkumadi Oil is effective in treating acne & pimples and makes the skin tone even while brightening the complexion.
Chandan or sandalwood possesses germicidal properties and it is very effective in balancing the surface oil and moisture content of the skin.
Haldi, a natural antiseptic, is very effective in curing pimples and other skin related problems. It helps in improving the complexion and makes the skin clear and glowing.
Kesar has been used since ages to brighten the complexion and is also helpful in treating acne, pimples, blemishes, and black spot.
Aloe vera is a magical herb that keeps the skin moisturized. It is very effective in treating chapped lips and dry & itchy skin. It works wonder in making the skin smooth, supple & youthful.
Tulsi acts as an antiseptic & natural astringent that refreshes the skin and makes it glowing.
Do you have any suggestion in choosing the Best Skin Care Routine? Share with us using the comment box below. You might also be interested in knowing the Complete Skin Care Kit for Sensitive Skin.